Thursday, January 08, 2009

I'm happy

It's interesting how you learn things about yourself simply by your own actions.


...

Okay, that sounds incredibly obvious and utterly cliché. I'll just cut to the story.

I crossed paths with an old friend this morning, one I haven't talked to in months. We didn't have time for an extended conversation, just a brief exchange as we passed. She asked me how I was doing; I responded "Still alive!" with a smile. She said "Good!" and the conversation was over. As I walked away, I realized that my response expressed a somewhat pessimistic outlook on life; it suggested that one would expect there to be a question as to whether I was surviving school.

That's not my outlook on life; I'm quite an optimistic person. My response came from a habit I've developed: when I ask someone how they're doing, they usually say "Fine." That's a boring response, so I often follow up with "Surviving?" or "Still alive?" That usually brings out a little more information about how life is going, etc., and makes the conversation more intersting. Since most people are, in fact, still alive, they give me a response about how they're doing better than what I had asked, and the conversation is a positive one.

But when I responsed "Still alive," I wasn't expressing my inner optimism. I wish I had responded "I'm happy," not because of any particular effect that it would have had on the other party, but because I want to be the kind of person that is actually happy.

Okay, enough of the sappy self-analysis. Happy January 8th, everybody!

No comments: