Saturday, December 15, 2007

Keep me away from all you love

If you have a favorite book, a treasured pet, an essential device, or some other thing that's important to you, I implore you not to bring it near me for the next couple days. I seem to be breaking everything I touch.

No, seriously.

Today, my brother and I rode TRAX from Sandy up to Salt Lake in order to attend my father's company Christmas Party (to which family members were invited.) We took the 7:00 train northward and arrived just in time. However, the very next train to follow depart northward on that track became derailed. Yes, the very next one. As a result, our filled-way-beyond-capacity south-bound 10:20 train was forced to stop early and unload all it's passengers onto buses, which carried them past the derailed train and on to the next stop, where we re-boarded TRAX and continued our journey. There are dozens of UTA workers who would be cursing my name right now, if only they knew.

"But there were hundreds of riders on TRAX," you say. "How can you possibly take all the blame yourself?"

Very well, allow me to present further evidence. Upon arriving home in Provo, (at a much delayed hour due to the previously related incident,) I pulled out my 6-month-old laptop and was talking to a friend online. When all my windows suddenly stopped responding, I assumed that a simple restart would fix everything. When I rebooted, I discovered that my laptop no longer has a hard drive. Let me be clear. This is not just a partitioning issue, a mounting issue, or a corrupt file on the drive. The entire hard drive apparently no longer exists. I started up from my boot disk and found that the only drive in my computer is the very DVD drive I was using to boot the computer in the first place. This, of course, explained why my computer stopped responding in the first place.

So really. I don't know what's going on, but you may not want to let me drive your car anytime soon.

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

That's what happened to my laptop. Sort of.