Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Pet Peeves: The Back-Button loop

Have you ever browsed to a website, attempted to go back to your previous page, and found that you stay on the same page you're on? And then, when you look at the back history, it turns out you have to jump back four or five pages in order to get out? (See here for an example.)


Why do people do this? Is there some advertising revenue that they gain by trapping people on their website that don't want to be there? I suppose they get additional impressions on their ads, but trapping me on a website when I'm trying to leave is not going to make me more likely to visit your site in the future.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely and unequivocally agreed.

You know what else I hate? The fact that Blogger clears the comment field about three seconds after you load up the page, erasing whatever you've typed so far. This is a bad idea, Blogger.

Rachel Helps said...

I hate that too! I also hate having a lot of stuff in my "back" history, but I think that's just me.