Friday, February 23, 2007

Accidentally getting a new job

For the past year and a half or so, I've had a certain on-campus job. It's been a great fit, as I've been paid to do what I've been doing my whole life anyway. I've had great co-workers, (including bismark and Wally III,) great clients, a fun work environment, periodic raises, and pretty much anything I could ask for.

Last summer, I took a break from that job to accept an amazing summer internship in Albuquerque, NM. I lived with my cousins down there, and had a great time. I made some good friends, I made a fair bit of money, and added some very nice-looking lines to my résumé. In all, it was a Good Thing.

A few weeks ago, I decided that I should start looking for an internship for this upcoming summer. My family has a bunch of stuff happening this summer, so I wanted to find something more local. In my searchings, I found a post on the Computer Science department job board for an internship at a very well-known company with an office in Provo. I had actually applied at this company last year, so I knew I was interested. The deadline to apply was that Sunday, so on Saturday morning I polished up my résumé and sent in a copy.

Remember, now, this is all on a Saturday.

Within two hours, I received a phone call from a lady in their HR department:

HR Lady: "I just received your application, and I noticed that you wrote on your résumé that you're looking for a summer internship."
Yellow: Yes, that's right.
HR Lady: Well, this position isn't actually for a summer internship; we're looking to fill the position immediately. Would you still be interested?

My initial reaction was to say no. After all, my on-campus job was much more convenient, they treated me well, and they'd even given me a raise just earlier that week. I wasn't out looking for a new job; I liked the one I had. In the end, though, I decided that it wouldn't hurt to apply for the position, so I told her I was still possibly interested, on the condition that they would be willing to work around my class schedule. I could make the final decision later.

About three hours later, I received another call. Again, this is Saturday. Who works on Saturday?

HR Lady: I've just talked to the manager for this internship, and he says he'd be willing to work around your schedule.
Yellow: Oh really? Great!
HR Lady: He'd like to meet with you; do you have time Monday at 10, 11, 2, or 3, or Tuesday at 11, 12, or 1. Would any of those work for you?

I told her I could meet with him on Tuesday at 11. (Yes, I skipped devotional, people. I'm a horrible, wicked person. I know.) I went in, interviewed with a couple different people, and by the end of Tuesday, I had a new job. And I started looking by accident.

Life's just crazy.

2 comments:

Brooklyn said...

I would like for you to arrange for this to happen to me.

Actually, it kind of did. Ha. Too bad I don't get paid for mine:)

Wally_III said...

Just what I would expect from THE Board's Yellow:-)