Friday, January 11, 2008

Lavish's Wedding Reception

I went to Lavish's wedding reception tonight.  I haven't seen her much since she got engaged, so it was fun to be there.  A few thoughts:


Lavish and I dated for a number of months, so it was an odd feeling being at her wedding reception.  As her dad said "this could have been you, you know."  And though it sounds a litltle awkward in that context, it's true.  At one point, I thought things might end up that way.  But they didn't, and I think her Mitch is so much better for her than I could ever have been.  I'm really happy for both of them, and it was genuinely just good to be there and see her at such a happy time.  

They had a live band at the reception to provide the music.  It's odd; in at least half of wedding receptions I've attended, I provided the music.  The other half have generally either had some other live pianist or used CDs, so I'm not used to having a live band there.  That was kinda cool, I guess, though I still think I want a live pianist at mine.

I stuck around for a while, and just before I had to leave they had the "Daddy-daughter" dance in which Lavish danced with her dad.  I'm not sure how, but even though it seems to be the standard thing to do at a wedding reception in the movies, somehow I've never seen it done in real life.  It was touching; her dad started crying about halfway through.  I think I gained a little insight into the feelings of a father for his daughter in that moment.  Something about the way he held her just spoke to me.  I guess I hope to have a daughter someday that I love so much that it hurts to let her go like that.

Anyway, Lavish, congratulations.  You're the most blestest one of all, today.  Thanks for everything.

No comments: