Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I made it!

A few months ago I rediscovered BYU's 100 Hour Board, a Q&A board on which any registered user can ask a question and get an answer within 100 hours. It has quickly become my favorite way to fill the empty minutes at work. It's a great way to learn lots of random information and keep yourself entertained. At first I just read the daily posts, but I soon discovered the "I'm Board!" link, which displays a random question from the archives.

Occasionally readers ask the Board a question along the lines of "How do I become a writer for the Board?" The answer is always the same: "Search the archives." This intrigued me a bit, because I'm always looking for more information. I didn't necessarily want to apply, but I wanted to know how in case I had the desire at a future time. However, none of my searches resulted in the necessary information. This only whetted my appetite.

About a month ago, I came across the necessary information. By that time, I was thoroughly addicted to the Board. I had favorite writers, and I even stared reading their blogs. Realizing that I was spending a lot of time on the Board, I decided to jump through the hoops necessary to apply to be a writer. If I'm going to be on the Board that much, I figured, I might as well make a useful contribution.

Monday, I was browsing the archives while waiting for someone at work when suddenly a whole set of links I had never seen before appeared. The Board occasionally has little bugs, so I figured it was just one of those, but this was much more extensive than ever before. I then saw in the top right corner the following text:

Logged in as [insert Yellow's name here].
(Probational Writer)

I was stunned. Could it really be? I poked around a bit. Yes, I could see the Inbox. Yes, I could assign categories to questions. Yes, I could click "Reply" to questions.

I made it!

I did a little semi-elated dance in my chair. I'm sure my cube-mate thought I was quite crazy. But then, I am. And I don't even care!


4 comments:

Corona4456 said...

Congratulations... hope it all works out... and if you are lucky someone may offer to pay you to answer their questions... or not :)

Unknown said...

Your panicked reaction to being accepted was one of the funniest things I've ever had the privilege to be witness to. I only wish I could have seen it in person. Alas.

Rach said...

that's so cool! I hope that's me someday!

erin said...

Me too. That was quite enjoyable. :)