Saturday, September 09, 2006

Oh, the irony

Near the end of Winter Semester 2006 I met a very fun girl. We'll call her M because that's not her name. We dated for a while before the summer, but we're not together at the moment. Things have been a little tense between us, but I think they're getting better.

The other day I got off work and dropped by her work. She works in a fairly public place, so there was a line waiting for her attention. I was just going to stop by quickly and say hi, since she was busy. However, as I was walking by the front of the line, I heard someone calling my name. I turned to look and saw a Sister from my mission waiting in line, so I stopped to talk to her for a second. We'll call her B because that's not her real name either.

Keep in mind that I'm standing about 5 feet away from M at the moment. After the usual chit-chat, she asked:

B: "So, are you..." [leans over a little to look at my left hand]
Yellow: [laughs] "No, I'm not married yet."
B: "Oh. Are you dating anyone? What about that girl you were dating last year?" (Referring to M.)
Yellow: [laughs again, quite hard] "No, I'm not dating anyone at the moment either."

B, of course, had no idea why I was laughing so hard. She had no idea that M was standing within perfect hearing distance of the entire conversation, nor that this was the first time I had actually seen M in a number of months, so I was quite nervous about it. She just saw that I found a question about my current relationship status much more humorous than it deserved.

Oh, the irony of it all.

1 comment:

Corona4456 said...

Heh... this one kind of relates to the it's a small world comment. What are the odds :). Hope it all turned out ok.

Also, let's hope M doesn't stand for anything in this certain situation... I mean you decide to use M and B asks you if you are married... I don't know... I see a trend there LOL :).